Friday, July 25, 2008

So What's This Grad School Business?

All four people who check in here every few months have noticed that the background color is different...and that after two months I posted something. Hooray, it looks different! Well, with this new stage of life goes a new, although ironic, color. I have decided that clinical nutrition is not for me at this stage. Many of you know the reasons as I have a tendency to talk things out until I resign them to be fact. Therefore, I successfully applied to Pratt Institute's Master's Program in Environmental Systems Management which began about five weeks ago.

My original base major (wager) in college (at Ohio Wesleyan University, Go OWU!) was Environmental Studies and despite the attempt towards each career I have, I end up back knee deep in John McPhee and Jared Diamond books feeling like a douche who needs to do something to save about sixteen species of obscure flora and fauna featured on late night Jack Hanna-type television commercials while simultaneously recycling every single fraction of physical matter I come across. Then I have a breakdown that I am turning into my parents. But I digress...

What in the world does this have to do with food or dietetics or anything I had spent the past 3.5 years and some odd $60K to accomplish? Well...this program does allow me to concentrate in LEED certified kitchen design as well as sustainable agriculture. No one in their right can deny there is a food crisis worldwide and that it is not going to get better any time soon. Therefore, while the Megans may wow you with TPN ditties, tube feeding cruises, or a broad scale clinical explanation of my tortured cholesterol scores (if they find the time), I will be focusing on green food and nonfood topics and my classes with a few restaurant trashes interspersed.

I hope you enjoy. And if you don't, please at least recycle the knowledge.

~beth (Who will use this website to procrastinate homework to the point of destruction and not so secretly would love to be Peter Beard when she grows up.)

No comments: